Nuclear Free Middle East
The presence of nuclear weapons and other weapons of mass destruction (WMD) in the Middle East, and the possibilities of nuclear proliferation to additional countries, increases regional tensions, the possibility for military attack and the possibility of use of nuclear weapons or other WMD.
TAKE ACTION: Call on your parliamentarian to support the Joint Parliamentary Statement
The United Nations General Assembly adopts an annual resolution by consensus supporting the goal of a Middle East Nuclear Weapon Free Zone. This call was advanced in 2010 by the agreement of all States Parties to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) to hold a Conference on the establishment of a Middle East zone free of nuclear weapons and all other weapons of mass destruction, to be convened under the auspices of the United Nations. Finland was chosen as the host country for the conference with Ambassador Jaakko Laajava as the facilitator.
Progress has been slow, with preliminary talks taking place amongst the relevant countries, but no date or agenda agreed for the conference. If there is not progress by the next NPT Review conference, the NPT could be at risk.
- Call on your government to reaffirm the call to all relevant States to agree to a date and agenda for this initial UN Conference on establishing a Middle East zone free of nuclear weapons and all other weapons of mass destruction;
- Call on your parliamentarian to support the Joint Parliamentary Statement Supporting a Middle East Zone Free from Nuclear Weapons and Other Weapons of Mass Destruction.
- United Nations resolution adopted by consensus on establishing a Middle East Nuclear Weapon Free Zone (English, Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish);
- Joint Parliamentary Statement Supporting a Middle East Zone Free from Nuclear Weapons and Other Weapons of Mass Destruction (Arabic, Czech, English, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Persian/Farsi, Slovak, Spanish, Turkish);
- Repository of documents to support a Middle East Zone free of Nuclear Weapons and other WMD;
- A Middle East Without Weapons of Mass Destruction, Palestine-Israel Journal, Vol.19 No.12 2013