UNSG’s Five Point Plan
On United Nations Day Oct 24, 2009 UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon released a Five-Point Proposal for Nuclear Disarmament.
TAKE ACTION: Call on your government to more actively promote the commencement of negotiations on a nuclear weapons convention
The proposal combined incremental measures and more comprehensive proposals to provide a plan that could be agreeable to all States.
Indeed, in 2010 the States Parties to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty agreed by consensus that all States should make special efforts to establish the framework for a nuclear weapon free world noting the Five Point Proposal of the UNSG.
The primary point of the proposal was a call on States to commence negotiations on a nuclear weapons convention (global treaty) or package of agreements to prohibit and eliminate nuclear weapons. The UNSG circulated a draft treaty (Model Nuclear Weapons Convention) to help guide such negotiations.
The other interim or supporting measures included proposals for:
- the UN Security Council to initiate discussions – or hold a summit – on nuclear disarmament;
- negotiation and/or implementation of the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty, a treaty on fissile materials and Nuclear Weapon Free Zone treaties;
- increased transparency about the size of current nuclear arsenals, stocks of fissile material and specific disarmament achievements;
- complementary measures for the elimination of other types of WMD; new efforts against WMD terrorism; limits on the production and trade in conventional arms; and new weapons bans, including of missiles and space weapons.
In March 2014, the Inter Parliamentary Union (comprising 164 parliaments) adopted a resolution calling on all governments to commence negotiations on a nuclear weapons convention or package of agreements as proposed in the UN Secretary General’s Five Point Proposal.
Action: Call on your government to more actively promote the commencement of negotiations on a nuclear weapons convention or package of agreements as proposed in the UN Secretary General’s Five Point Proposal.
- Summary of the UN Secretary-General’s Five-Point Proposal for Nuclear Disarmament
- UN Secretary General’s full proposal;
- UN Secretary-General’s speech launching his Five Point Proposal;
- Inter Parliamentary Union resolution calling for the commencement of negotiations on a nuclear weapons convention of package of agreements.